NOTE: Fall 2024 Supplemental Requirements are updated for NEW FIRST YEAR and TRANSFER APPLICANTS.
- If you would like to be put on a mailing list for when our submission procedures are updated, please fill out this short GOOGLE FORM.
NOTE: CURRENT UCLA STUDENTS - Application and Requirements are NOT YET UPDATED.
If you are applying to UCLA for the first time, please read the information under “For New First Year and Transfer Applicants”.
If you are a current UCLA student who wants to major in Dance, please scroll down to “For Current UCLA Students”.
FOR NEW FIRST YEAR AND TRANSFER APPLICANTS:
New UCLA first year and transfer students are admitted to the major for fall quarter only. To be considered for admission, applicants are required to complete both the general University of California (UC) undergraduate application, as well as a department supplement.
Applicants who have submitted their UC application and have listed Dance as their first choice major to UCLA will have access to the online supplemental application for Dance.
The Dance supplemental application portal will be open from November 15 – December 15. Once an applicant submits the UC Application indicating the Dance major as their first choice major to UCLA, their UC Application will be processed within 1-10 business days (excluding weekends and holidays). Once the UC Application is officially processed, applicants will use their UC Application ID to log into the online supplemental application. Undergraduate applicants must submit both the UC application and Dance supplement to be considered for admission into the major.
Supplemental Application Materials
The supplemental application for the Dance major is due on December 15 at 11:59pm PST, and includes the following specific departmental requirements:
- Academics and Extracurriculars
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Department Statement
- Video Audition
- Self Portrait Multimedia Project
- Optional Experience Resume
For full details about requirements and instructions on submission as well as formatting guidelines, please refer to the Supplemental Application Worksheet at SOAA website:
F2024 Dance Supplemental Application Worksheet (For new First Year and Transfer Applicants to UCLA- B.A., Dance)
All supplemental materials must be submitted through the online upload system; any physical materials submitted to the department will not be considered in the review process.
If you have any questions about the admission process, please email email@example.com or visit UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture Prospective Students
***Please note that UCLA is closed for winter break from mid-December through the first week in January. We will respond to all inquiries submitted during this time upon returning.***
Discover Dance at UCLA
Details for this year are still pending.
- Watch Studio Practices in Action Fall 2022 featured at Discover Dance
FOR CURRENT UCLA STUDENTS:
Current UCLA undergraduate students interested in the Dance major must identify themselves to the department by DECEMBER 1, 2022 (4:00pm PST) in order to participate in the departmental Change of Major admission process during Fall/Winter. Applications are considered once a year.
Deadline to submit Supplemental Dance application: December 15 at 11:59pm PST
Students are considered for Spring Quarter admission only.
The Department encourages prospective Change of Major applicants to book a counseling appointment with the department advisors, so that you can get direct individualized information about your degree proposal. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
You may apply to ONE major per quarter only.
You must be in good academic standing at the end of the application quarter. If you are on academic probation at the end of your previous quarter, you may still apply, with the expectation that your status will be cleared at the end of the current quarter. Minimum progress probation status may affect your change of major petition.
The Department strongly prefers a minimum 3.0 GPA in Dance courses and an overall minimum 2.0 GPA.
Students must be enrolled in at least one Dance course (NOT a movement course) during the Fall quarter in which the petition is filed, so that their work may be monitored by the World Arts and Cultures/Dance (WACD) faculty and counselor.
ALL APPLICANTS must have taken previously or be enrolled in DANCE 1 in the current Fall Quarter of application, this will count towards the above requirement.
FIRST YEAR AND SOPHOMORE STANDING APPLICANTS:
- You must have no more than 90 quarter units at the beginning of Winter Quarter, although fewer are recommended.
- Applicants must have taken or plan to enroll in DANCE 44 in the following Winter Quarter.
- Applicants must have taken or plan to enroll in DANCE 45 in the following Spring Quarter.
- Applicants must have taken and/or be enrolled in at least one class at the beginning of the following Winter Quarter from: DANCE 16, 67A, 67B
NOTE: If you are a prospective Dance applicant with no established UC GPA (ex. you are a new student entering in the Fall who has not taken previous coursework at UCLA or any other UC), you are not eligible to apply until you have a UCLA GPA. For most prospective Dance applicants, the soonest you can apply for a Change of Major is in Fall/Winter of sophomore year, as most students establish their first UCLA GPA in mid-to late December following the completion of Fall Q, which is after the COM deadline.
JUNIOR STANDING APPLICANTS
- You must have no more than 120 quarter units at the beginning of Winter Quarter, although fewer are recommended.
- Competitive applicants will have the majority of their School and University requirements completed.
- Applicants must have and/or be enrolled in at least 12 units at the beginning of the following Winter Quarter from: 16, 44, 45, 67A, 67B, 70, 101
- Applicants must have and/or be enrolled in at least 8 units at the beginning of the following Winter Quarter from (more are suggested): DANCE 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 56, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, C106A, C109A, 112A, C113A, C115, 116, 159, 160, WL ARTS 80
Change of Major Application Sheet
Students may be interviewed/audition as part of the application process. Review the Change of Major Application Worksheet below for more information about the application process and admission requirements:
Should you have any questions after reviewing this information, please email email@example.com.